Friday, June 22, 2012

Some confessions and a MAJOR!

This post is dedicated to my obsession for the past 3 days and an interest I've had since around the age of 11 or 12. I was a rather chubby kid.... like really.  It was a dark time.... thus now it is secretive, locked in terrible photo albums of the past. Not really, but I'm not uber quick to pull out pictures of my chub rolls when friends come over. Nevertheless, being chubby isn't the best feeling for the self-confidence radar when you're 13. I remember countless summers where I would say 'I'm going to lose the weight, and come back to school and shock everyone'.... obviously it didn't happen for a while. Finally when I was 14 though, my freshman year in Miami, I sat in my counselor's office to sign some form and noticed a pamphlet on her desk for the 'Teen's get Fit for Life' program at our local community center. I wasn't too incredibly chubby at that time but still the self-confidence thing is a big motivator for a teen. I joined and let me tell you, it's the best thing that has ever happened to me.

It's because of that program that I lost 15 pounds and then have continued to stay active in highschool through cross country, swimming, and triathlons. I'm not exactly a stick-thin chica but let me tell you something... I can probably kick your butt in push-ups, p90x, or the mile. I'm really strong for a 17 year old and I'm healthy: I work out a lot and I eat pretty well for a teenager too.  Don't get me wrong- I still struggle at times in the body I was given. Legs of steel, although strong, are not the most slender looking in the world of the media at the moment.  But just because I have the running calves of a buffalo and the broad shoulders of our dearly beloved Michael Phelps doesn't mean that I have to feel any less attractive so I try not to let it bother me too much. If nothing else, I'll probably live longer than the skinny minnies who never exercise but eat crap... that'll be my revenge.

What is all of this talk of nutrition, exercise, and a lifelong goal for fitness about? Well I decided on my major at BYU- Exercise and Wellness. Basically, from there I can become a nutritionist, personal trainer, sports trainer etc. I'm excited!!


No comments:

Post a Comment