Saturday, April 7, 2012

Lots of Paint

Today I was able to take part in a Habitat Build where I painted parts of a Thai school about 30 minutes from where I live that was destroyed by the floods in Northern Thailand from October to December of 2011. Can I just say how blessed I am? I had a blast. I met new friends from all grades at ISB. Things I learned today:
1. Paint fumes can make you feel rather high...... Yes I started to experience some of that. I'm not sure how high quality that paint was but it was pretty heavy duty stuff.At one point for a few moments it was so strong that I was feeling nauseous. The feeling past within a few minutes though and it was too fun to stop, so I kept going. Interestingly enough, however, I felt like writing a song about walruses or lucy in the sky with diamonds. Inspiration for a bit of songwriting about Rhapsody in a Bohemian style came to mind as well.
2. Freshmen and sophomores are so much funnier than people give them credit for..... I spent the whole day laughing at their terrible singing, ill-humored jokes, and fabulous skills in construction work. I'm so glad I was able to meet them. I also added them all on Facebook which is a CRAZY huge deal, if you know me, I only add people I actually talk to or think are uber cool to my facebook.
3. Make-up isn't really needed.. I woke up 5 minutes before the bus was scheduled to leave from the school and thus grabbed my water-bottle and backpack and sprinted for my motor bike. I didn't have time for the make-up. Sure maybe someone noticed but you know what? It actually felt pretty good to be the real me. For the first hour, I felt pretty self conscious but I realized that no one cared or at least no one cared enough to say anything. The only time my face was mentioned was when Michael repeatedly exclaimed that I had green paint splotches on me ranging from my forehead to my nose. Therefore- it's okay to go without.
4. Service is entirely and irrevocably one of the best ways to improve your life.. (And others). If you're lucky enough to be sitting on a laptop, desktop, imac, iPad, or any other internet device at this moment which you obviously are right now, you're in very top richest people in this world who can afford their basic needs and more. If we are lucky enough to have these wonderful things, we better do something about it. Get involved in your community, even if it is just a day painting bathrooms for a local school. They will appreciate it more than you know and you'll find yourself better off than you were before. However over used that statement is, it is a true one. You get more than you give in situations like this.
5. I love the Thai people... By far the sweetest nation I have ever lived in. Their smiles seem to gleam brighter than possible sometimes. For example at the end of the habitat build today, the teachers at the school sang us a very sweet song that said "We are Thank You so much". In broken English and with gratitude in their gestures, they made the sun and heat and yes, even the pouring rain SO worth it.


Another highlight of the day- Michael Max and Eva getting completely dumped on with water from a tarp 

The new friends I made during the Habitat Build (left circling around right) - Max, Ana, Meghan, Victoria, Me, Ciel, and  Michael.

Wonderful day, wonderful school, I love ISB <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment