Thursday, August 22, 2013

Ecuador #1: Quito in a Snapshot

I've decided to do some short travel blogs of my experiences in Ecuador. Essentially I'm just doing this to remember them and show people that I'm a prooooo photographer (not even close). When I get back from Ukraine in March of 2015, anyone is welcome to come visit in Ecuador and partake of the same incredible experiences!

Here is the first post: Quito in a Snapshot
I took a double decker tour bus around Quito the second week I got here and then again about a month later when the rest of my family arrived so here are pictures from both experiences. This city is quite gorgeous.

First stop: El Mercada and Itchibamba Park
Among the vendors of this market I found this adooorable girl dressed in traditional Ecuadorian attire. The lollipop was just too perfect. 
Reminded me of that arch in Paris
Next Stop: Basilica del Voto Nacional
This gorgeous Roman Catholic church is the largest Neo-Gothic church in the Americas. The stained glass inside was incredible and it still holds mass on the weekends. I didn't get to climb the

Basilica from outside. It's pretty massive. 

My favorite picture taken that day.

Every window had some sort of pretty design from a Bible story. 

This picture just can't do this incredible window justice...

Lovely stained glass. This is only one of 20 something. Just decided to spare you all 20 ;) 

Pretty big, right?

Up on second level

Smaller cathedral off the side of the basilica- also gorgeous. Wasn't allowed to take pictures inside, only from doorways. Somehow I feel weird taking pictures in people's places of worship though.....

Next Stop: Centro Historic (Old Town Quito- Street of 7 churches)
Outside each church on the street is a large stone cross- sometimes its called the street of 7 crosses


The courtyard of Centro Historico

This church was incredible. Gold plated walls (no pictures allowed inside, but if you google La Compania you'll see some)
The Next Stop: Panecillo (Angel of Quito)
This is the statue- rather pretty. We didn't go up the hill with the tour bus because we ran out of time, but I will some day.

View of the city from up higher.
Other Pictures of Quito from Other Days: Sometimes the weather just works and you can see gorgeous views of surrounding mountains/volcanoes:
This was our view at night while staying in the Sheraton before getting into our house
Increeedible view from the dentist- Cotopaxi Volcano
Cayambe Volcanoe- One of my favorite photos hence, it gets a big post ;) 
This city is incredible. Come visit me in 2015 :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment