Friday, August 30, 2013

Ecuador #7: Manta/Puerto Lopez Whale Watching with CLO

Mid August I took a trip with some people from the embassy and went to Puerto Lopez on the coast of Ecuador near Manta. We went whale watching/beach lounging/and sulfur lake swimming. It was a wonderful time with some great people. This post is a little long (mostly pictures) but, if you've made it all the way to Ecuador number 7, you're a champ who loves traveling (or you're madly in love with me... in which case feel free to tell me!)
Day 1: Driving in to Puerto Lopez and the Sulfur lake
When first pulling in, this is what the fishing beach looked like from above

Full body sulfur mud mask with my boss (left), another woman from the embassy Maggie (middle) and me :) 

The pretty sulfur lake. There were loads of frog/toads and huge spiders roaming around the edge. 


Day 2: The Whale Watching trip to Isla de La Plata and snorkling.
I was in the boat with the Richardsons (two of my fav people here in Ecuador) and we loved the day, despite the lack of adequate food from the tour company (cheese+butter sandwich and some fruit.... yum-ee)
On the way out of the docks. I think these are all fishing boats.

Two pelicans were eager to greet us upon arrival at the island. 

The island from the boat.

Blue footed boobies littered the island, this is probably my favorite pic of one that I took.
 His glaring stare is just too perfect. 

Mating season, need I say more?

Such pretty feet. 


We finally started seeing whales! This one was doing turns in the water. 

Another of my favorite pictures I took. 

Some got really close. 

Day 3: Beach in the morning/flight home
The group was supposed to go to another nice beach nearby but due to time constraints I decided to stay at the hotel's beach with Kate and Kaia and it was the perfect decision for us. We didn't want to do anymore transporting and the sun came out for us. We walked the beach for pretty stones and had a wonderful time!
                                      

Not too shabby. 


Reminded me a lot of Oregon

Skipping stones across ocean waves

Cute Kaia and I :)

In addition to the wonderful experience, I learned a lot about myself on this trip. It was an odd age bracket for me because the kids were 10 and below and the adults were 30ish or above. Being 19 I was stuck in the middle and chose to chill with the adults but I still had fun. I learned a lot of personal lessons about how I deal best, setting limits, and being okay with not doing what everyone else is.

Overall- I had a wonderful time seeing some of the greatest things this Earth has to offer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment